Catalog 2013-2014 
    Jun 22, 2021  
Catalog 2013-2014 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic and Student Services

Cooperative Work Experience

Cooperative Work Experience (CWE) is a program in which students can apply learned theory in a practical, live business setting. CWE is available in all professional-technical curricula. When students have completed the required basic coursework, they and their Academic Advisor will develop a career-related job experience program, earning college credit, and in some cases, wages. For further information, contact the program Academic Advisor.

Credit by Exam

A maximum of 45 credits toward a degree and 24 credits toward a certificate program may be earned by: CLEP examination, ACT subject matter examinations, advanced placement tests (score of 3, 4 or 5 required), military schooling (ACE Guide approved) or KCC departmental waiver based on knowledge or training.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) has been instituted by The College Entrance Examination Board. CLEP gives students the opportunity to receive college credit for what they already know by earning qualifying scores on any of the examinations. Students earn credit for knowledge already acquired through independent study, prior course work, on-the-job training, professional development, cultural pursuits or internships.

KCC grants credit for certain CLEP general and subject examinations. These examinations must be completed with a satisfactory score and an original copy of test results must be forwarded to the Registrar’s Office from the testing service. Information on CLEP course equivalencies and minimum scores may be obtained from the KCC Registrar.

CLEP testing is offered on campus at KCC. Call 541-880-2255 to schedule an exam.

Advanced Placement

Students who complete college-level work in high school under the Advanced Placement (AP) program must achieve a minimum score of three to be granted credit on their KCC transcript. To receive credit, an original copy of the AP scores must be forwarded to the Registrar’s Office from the testing service. AP course equivalencies may be obtained from the KCC Registrar.

Developmental Education

These courses are designed to provide help in basic language skills, writing, math and study skills in preparation for success in academic programs. Tutorial assistance is available to all students in the Tutoring Center.

Students needing to improve their basic reading, writing and computation skills before pursuing collegiate-level instruction can take a variety of college preparatory courses in the basic skill areas. KCC encourages students to improve their basic skills to promote their chances for educational success.

Special Needs / Disability Accommodations

Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request if a person has a documented disability. Students may contact the Disabilities Coordinator at 541-880-2214 for information on disability documentation requirements and available accommodations.

TRIO Student Support Services

TRIO Student Support Services is a free program targeted to assist low income, first generation, disabled and high risk students succeed in college. This limited entry program offers support services that assist students from their entry into the program through graduation with the emphasis on success. The program assists in transferring students to other colleges as well as offering tutoring, career exploration, academic advising and many other related services. The TRIO Department is located in Building 4.

For further information or to request an application please call: 541-880-2289.

Counseling Services

KCC provides counseling services to students through Solutions (EAP). Students may get overwhelmed with balancing life and school. Solutions (EAP) can help with test anxiety, school stress home stress, and whatever else may be challenging a student’s academic or personal success. Students should call 541-885-4548 if they would like to utilize counseling services provided through KCC.

Student Leadership

Multiple opportunities are present on the KCC campus for students to become campus leaders: student government, mentoring, joining or forming clubs, and participating in campus events. Participating in student leadership activities helps build connections and support networks on campus, and helps students succeed in their commitment to complete a program or degree.

The Associated Students of Klamath Community College (ASKCC)

As the student government body on campus, ASKCC’s mission is to empower and support students through diverse activities and events, develop student leadership abilities, support student clubs, and communicate with the KCC administration.

Students gain valuable leadership skills, develop friendships and establish beneficial contacts with college faculty, staff, and community members. Students may also have the opportunity to attend leadership training workshops and to provide leadership in developing activities for other students on campus.

For more information about ASKCC, contact the Student Life Center in person within Building 4 or call at 541-880-2333.

Campus Clubs

Campus clubs are organizations run by students, supported by a faculty advisor and ASKCC, where students can get involved, make friends, and participate in activities sponsored by the clubs, as well as campus-wide initiatives and club fairs.

Currently recognized clubs:

  • Hispanic Culture Club
  • KCC Christian Fellowship
  • Klamath Collegiate Future Farmers of America (FFA)
  • Pi-Rats, the KCC math club
  • Phi Beta Lambda (PBL), the business club
  • Phi Theta Kappa (PTK), the community college honor society
  • Steps for Success
  • The Diversity Club
  • The Gamers Club
  • The Running Club
  • The Science Club
  • The Symphonic Alliance
  • The Veterans Club
  • TRIO Second Mile Club

If you have an idea for a club, please contact the office of the Vice President of Student Services at 541-880-2275.

Success Mentor Program

The Student Leadership Program (Success Mentors) is a campus-wide endeavor to increase the involvement, academic achievement, leadership opportunities, and employment skills of all KCC students. Success Mentors are students who take an active role in recruiting new and prospective students to KCC, leading new student orientations, advanced diploma events, and other student life initiatives.

For more information on how to get involved as a Success Mentor, visit the Student Life Center in Building 4.

Job and Career Resources

Job opportunities for on-campus, local, state, federal and positions are posted on the “Job and Career Board” in Building 4, next to room 411. Career workshops covering different aspects of job hunting, from resume writing to interview skills, are offered by the Student Life Center in Building 4.

Student Participation in Institutional Governance

As members of the college community, students are free to express views on issues of institutional policy and matters of general interest to the student body. Students may participate in formulating and applying policies and procedures affecting academic and student affairs through student leadership, college councils and committees.

Freedom of Association

Students bring a variety of interests to KCC. Members of the college community may organize and join collegiate associations to promote their common interests, subject to the following considerations:

  1. The membership, policies and actions of a student organization typically are determined by the vote of those individuals who hold bona fide membership in the college community.
  2. As a condition of institutional recognition, student organizations are required to submit a statement of purpose, criteria for membership and operational procedures to the Vice President of Student Services.
  3. Student organizations typically choose their own college advisor, though some may be assigned. Clubs recognized by the college must have an advisor who is a college employee. College staff members serve the college community when they accept the responsibility to advise student organizations and have an obligation to protect the general interests of the college.
  4. Student organizations, including those affiliated with an external organization, are open to all students without respect to age, disability, national origin, race, marital status, religion, sexual orientation or gender in accordance with federal and state laws. However, specific organization criteria may limit membership options (e.g., grade point average).
  5. Students and student organizations may examine and discuss questions of interest to them and express opinions publicly and privately. They may support causes by orderly means which do not disrupt college operations. At the same time, it should be made clear to the academic and larger community that in their public expressions, students or student organizations speak for themselves and not as representatives of the college or the college community.


Courses that are necessary to meet program requirements will be delivered in a timely manner. The college exercises the prerogative of choosing the courses to be offered each term. Not all courses will be offered every term. Final course offerings are contingent upon enrollment and staff availability, and are subject to change without prior notification. To avoid delays in meeting program requirements, students are encouraged to enroll in courses which meet specific program requirements as they are offered.

This catalog includes the academic programs and courses which are approved for Klamath Community College by the State of Oregon. The college reserves the right to offer programs and courses based on student demand and availability of resources.

Course numbers

KCC uses the course numbering system found throughout the Oregon University System and other state community colleges. Course numbers 100-299 are undergraduate transferable courses (often a grade of “C” or better is required) or professional technical courses. Courses numbered 99 or below are developmental education courses and are not normally transferable to four year institutions. Normally, 200 level are sophomore courses which generally require collegiate reading, writing and/or math skills. Professional-technical courses are generally not designated as transfer courses. However, there are exceptions, and students should consult the advisor and academic department concerned, as well as the transfer institution for transferability of these courses.

Credit Hour Load

Students should enroll for an average of 15 credit hours per term of collegiate-level coursework to earn an associate degree in two years or a bachelor’s degree in four years. An average of 15 credit hours involves approximately 45 clock hours of scholastic productivity each week of the term.

Students who work are advised to fit their job schedule into the credit hour equation and anticipate taking more than six terms to complete a two-year educational plan. It may be difficult to carry a full-time academic load while working more than 20 hours per week.

To enroll in more than 18 credits per term, students must have a cumulative minimum GPA of 2.75 and written approval from the faculty advisor or a Student Success Representative. By taking advantage of summer term classes, students can reduce the number of credit hours needed per term or the length of time required for attaining their degree.

Grading System

Final grades are issued at the end of each term. With linked lecture/lab courses, the letter grade is reflected in the lecture grade with the lab assigned a 0 credit. Letter grades are assigned points according to the following system:

Grade Definition Points Per Credit
A Superior performance 4.0
B Quality performance 3.0
C Competent performance 2.0
D Deficient performance / but passing 1.0
F Failure to meet minimum requirements 0.0
I Incomplete 0.0
P Pass - acceptable performance 0.0
NP Not passing 0.0
NA Not acceptable performance 0.0
R Repeated 0.0
W Withdrawal 0.0
AUD Audit 0.0

Grade Point Average (GPA)

  1. Multiply the number of credit hours earned in a course by the number of points allowed for the grade received.
  2. Add the total points for all courses.
  3. Divide this total by the number of credit hours carried for the term. GPA is usually computed to two decimal places.

Pass/No Pass Option

“P” signifies a passing grade was earned (“C” grade or better). Qualifying credits count toward degrees and certificates, but are not computed in the GPA. Course graded options are outlined in the course syllabus.


If a student has completed a majority of the assigned coursework at a satisfactory level of quality but some essential course requirement has not been completed (for reasons acceptable to the instructor), a report of Incomplete (I) may be given and additional time granted for completion.

Students must initiate the incomplete grade contract process, except in emergency cases. The form must be filled out and signed by both the student and the instructor, but only the instructor may submit the form to Student Services. Because a substantial amount of completed coursework is required for “I” eligibility, a course repeat is not a legitimate make-up assignment and will not be accepted by Student Services.

Course requirements must be completed within a maximum of one term after the end of the term for which the “I” grade is received. Upon completion of course requirements, the instructor will assign a grade using the “change of grade” form. This form is to be obtained from and returned by the instructor to the Vice President for Learning Services. If the course requirements are not completed after one term, the grade becomes an “F” on the transcript unless the course is repeated. An “I” does not entitle a student to repeat a course without paying tuition.

A grade of W, I, or F does not count as successful completion of a class. Klamath Community College will apply the Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards at the completion of the term after grades are posted.

Grade Discrepancies

Students must bring any grade discrepancy to the attention of the Vice President for Academic Affairs within 60 days after grades are posted.

Veterans Services

KCC’s Veterans Representative provides general information on the different types of education benefits available to veterans and their eligible dependents and certifies the student’s enrollment with the Veterans Administration. To apply for Veterans educational benefits go to Recipients of VA benefits must maintain satisfactory academic progress toward their educational goal.

Veterans must abide by VA regulations regarding notification of any change in academic program/major, change in course registration, course withdrawal, and transfer credits from other institutions. Failure to notify the Veterans Administration may result in a loss of benefits. For information regarding benefits and/or payment problems, please call the VA education line at 1-888-442-4551.

The KCC Veterans Representative in located in Building 3 and can be reached at 541-880-2214.

Eligibility Requirements:

Students may establish eligibility for full-time veterans benefits by taking 12 or more credits, three-quarter time benefits with 9 to 11 credits, or half-time benefits with 6 to 8 credits. If the student attends less than half-time, only tuition benefits are available. Students taking GED or high school equivalency courses must attend class 18 or more hours per week to be considered full-time. If students are veterans or other military personnel, they should check with Student Services regarding procedures for acceptance of military credits. Students must provide documents verifying prior education and military service. Eligibility for benefits and monthly payments are processed by the Veterans Administration Educational Office in Muskogee, OK.

After certification by the college, VA students must:

  1. Maintain satisfactory academic progress.
  2. Enroll only in courses that apply to their degree or certificate program. Enrollment in classes that do not apply toward degree or certificate completion will make the student liable for overpayments from the VA.
  3. Complete at least the minimum hours for which they were certified. Overpayments will occur if they enroll in, but do not complete, the credits for which they were certified.
  4. Inform the VA office immediately of changes in schedule, address or dependents, as it takes up to six weeks to process the changes.
  5. Chapter 30 recipients must certify their college attendance monthly with the VA office (on the VA Electronic System). Students receiving veterans benefits that are enrolled at least three-quarter time (9 to 11 credits) or more may be eligible to apply for Work Study at a VA Medical Center or with the Oregon State Employment Division.

Military Deployment

Any student with orders to report for active military duty may withdraw at any time during the term and receive a full refund on tuition and fees. If sufficient course work has been accomplished and the instructor feels justified in granting credit for the course work completed, credit may be granted and no refund will be given. In some cases an “Incomplete” grade may be granted according to KCC policy. The student needs to initiate the process by contacting Student Services or the Veteran’s Representative and provide a copy of the official military orders.

The student needs to contact Student Services to obtain the appropriate form to request a withdrawal and/or grade for each class. A copy of official military orders must accompany the documentation; otherwise, no action will be taken and the student is responsible for all grades and debt to the college.

Upon return of the completed form to Student Services or the Veteran’s Representative, the Registrar’s Office will consult with Financial Aid and the Business office to determine whether a student will be fully dropped showing no record for the term or enter the appropriate grade (A-F, W, I) for each class and possible refund to the student.

Graduation Requirements

Graduation and Degree Audit

Students should petition for graduation at least two terms prior to the anticipated graduation date. Prior to filing an application, students need to review a current degree audit and academic plan for completion of coursework with their Academic Advisor. This will verify whether or not the student will meet the requirements for the chosen program. They must obtain a Petition to Graduate form and return the completed form to a Student Success Representative. Students expecting to graduate after spring term should apply in January, but no later than the published date on the yearly academic calendar. Any changes in program or course substitutions must be completed with a Student Success Representative or an Academic Advisor. Students earning a degree and/or certificate must petition within one year of completing applicable course work in order to participate in commencement.

Current students may conduct a degree audit via the KCC website.

1. Go to the KCC home page at and log into MyKCC.
2. Select “Degree Audit, Student Audit Sheet.” The degree audit can provide information on which classes are needed to complete a chosen degree.
3. Use in combination with the KCC class schedule (also on the Web), the college catalog and degree requirements to help plan degree completion.

Commencement ceremonies are held at the end of spring term each year. Information regarding graduation ceremony activities can be obtained on the KCC website. Students interested in participating need to submit a completed RSVP form.

Note: KCC reserves the right to award a certificate or degree without a Petition to Graduate being filed.

Additional Degree or Certificate

Students seeking an additional degree from KCC must complete the requirements of the degree or certificate to qualify. Students need to submit a Petition to Graduate.

Residency Requirements for a Degree or Certificate

For all associate degrees, 24 credits toward degree completion must be earned at Klamath Community College. For all one year or less than one year certificate programs, 12 credits towards the certificate must be earned at KCC.

Opt Out

KCC reserves the right to grant associate degrees, one-year certificates, and less than one year certificates when a student has completed necessary credits, regardless of whether the student applied to receive the degree/certificate or whether the student earned the credits for the degree at Klamath Community College or a state institution of higher education. The student will be notified in writing that he or she has received the degree or certificate and will be given the opportunity to request that the degree or certificate not be awarded. If the student has any indebtedness to the college, the diploma is withheld.