Catalog 2013-2014 
    Jun 22, 2021  
Catalog 2013-2014 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Admissions and Registration

High School Completion

Klamath Adult Learning Center (KALC) provides educational opportunities for people over 16 years of age who are not currently enrolled in a secondary school and who may not hold a high school diploma. KALC provides education programs in Adult Basic Education (ABE), General Equivalency Diplomas (GED) in both English and Spanish, and English as a Second Language (ESL).

Services are available that enable students to:

  • Improve general academic competency.
  • Become aware of career opportunities.
  • Achieve the general educational development high school equivalency diploma.
  • Obtain naturalization papers through citizenship training.
  • Learn to speak, read and write English as a Second Language.
  • Receive testing to determine individual academic strengths and weaknesses.

For more information, contact KALC at 541-883-4719.

High School Dual Credit

Klamath Community College, in partnership with local high schools, offers a state-approved, dual-credit program. Students can earn college credit for competencies mastered in certain high school courses and receive high school and college credits at the same time.

The Dual Credit program works closely with high school administrators and teachers to identify lower division academic and entry level professional technical courses that match programs offered at Klamath Community College. Courses are articulated and students take college-level courses taught by approved teachers in their high school. Not all articulated courses are available at every school. Courses are recorded on a KCC transcript in the same manner as regularly enrolled college students and may be used toward a degree or certificate program at KCC or may be transferred to other colleges.

Classes are usually limited to seniors and qualified juniors. Exceptions may be made if it is determined that a student meets the established prerequisites for each particular course.

Klamath Community College coordinates programs with many local high schools. A list of current Dual Credit classes are available at each high school, by calling KCC’s High School Outreach Coordinator at 541-880-2327, or visiting the website at

The following criteria must be met:

  1. Courses for which students seek enrollment are articulated and taught by an approved teacher. Students are encouraged to contact their local high school to check on course and instructor availability.
  2. Students meet the admissions requirements (prerequisite skills/aptitudes) for the courses and have the high school teacher’s approval to take the course.
  3. Students submit a completed KCC dual credit registration form to their teacher by established deadlines.
  4. Students complete the course requirements and meet the stated outcomes as detailed in the KCC course syllabus.

Dual Credit allows students to:

  • Earn college credits at no cost while still in high school
  • Get a head start on college coursework
  • Reduce the amount of time spent on earning a career, technical certificate or college degree
  • Document educational achievement

Admission and registration process:

  • Complete the application-registration form in the high school class
  • Contact high school counselor or class instructor

Small Business Development

KCC works to provide small business assistance for the district. The Small Business Development Center provides counseling services and training to small businesses in the district.

For more information, contact KCC’s Workforce Education Department at 541-882-3521.

International Students

Currently, KCC is not authorized by the Immigration and Naturalization Service to issue I-20 documentation. International students interested in attending KCC must meet with the Vice President for Student Services. Call 541-882-3521 for an appointment.


To be admitted to KCC credit programs, a student must meet at least one of the following entrance requirements:

  1. Graduation from a regionally accredited secondary high school having met all requirements for a full high school diploma. Modified diplomas are not accepted.
  2. A GED, Certificate of Equivalency or an Adult High School Diploma.
  3. A non-high school graduate, 18 years old or older, who has achieved acceptable scores on the placement test.
  4. An individual 16 or 17 years old who is not required to attend high school and who furnishes a written release from compulsory school attendance. This special student status (ORS 339.030) requires an interview with Student Services.
  5. A high school student who has met special student admissions requirements: a completed high school referral form, acceptable scores on placement testing, and an admissions interview with a Student Success Representative.

Note: some programs may have additional admissions requirements. See specific programs for details.

New Students

Complete an admissions form and sign up for New Student Orientation with Student Services in building three.

Application Process

  • Complete the admissions application.
  • Provide official transcripts from all previous post-secondary education, if applicable.

Placement Test

Students must take the COMPASS placement test, and/or provide a transcript of math and writing courses successfully completed within the last 7 years. Placement tests will be provided as part of New Student Orientation.

When a beginning student applies for admission, the college provides a placement test for the following reasons:

  • Degree or certificate seeking
  • Enrolling in more than 6 credits
  • Enrolling in a math, writing or language skills course
  • Enrolling in a class with a prerequisite of math, writing or language skills
  • Entry into a program requiring math, writing or language skills assessment

Assessments are for placement purposes and determine the ability to benefit from instruction. Students are placed in the level of math, writing, or language skills where they demonstrate the greatest potential for success.

Placement tests are given at New Student Orientation unless otherwise directed by Student Services. Disability-related accommodations for placement tests are available on a case-by-case basis by contacting the Disability Coordinator at 541-882-3521.

Ability to Benefit

To be admitted in classes, a prospective student must demonstrate an ability to benefit from the instruction. The ability to benefit from instruction is defined as the ability to achieve the skill level or knowledge to apply the subject matter in an academic or practical situation. The college reserves the right to independently ascertain if a person can benefit from instruction. If the college determines the person cannot benefit from the instruction and the person has enrolled at the college, the college will administratively drop the student and refund the student’s tuition and fees.

Registration for Classes

  • Attend New Student Orientation
  • Pay tuition and fees by the first day of the term.
  • Complete financial aid file or provide documentation to the business office of third party payment.
  • For non financial aid and third party payees, pay tuition and fees by the first day of the term.

New Student Orientation

New Student Orientation is an introduction to KCC and is scheduled prior to each term. Orientation/Registration is a mandatory two day session which includes an overview of college resources, tips for success, financial aid information, placement exam, building and registering for classes, and an opportunity to connect with college staff and academic advisors, as well as other students on campus. All credit students planning to enroll in a degree, certificate or diploma program, and are new to KCC are required to attend one of the orientation/registration sessions prior to the start of their first term. Call the Student Life Coordinator at 541-880-2321 for more information.

College Survival and Success

The College Survival and Success (CGS 100) course assists all new college students to acquire essential skills needed for academic success. Specifically, students will be able to demonstrate a working knowledge of KCC resources, promote the understanding of college policies and procedures, help students identify and explain their own personal strengths and weaknesses in learning, and require students to demonstrate effective college study strategies. Overall, the purpose of this course is to provide a student with the opportunity to learn and practice methods that promote success in college life.

Academic Advising

Mandatory academic advising is required for all students seeking a certificate or degree. Advisors are available for students seeking certificates and degrees from KCC, and it is critical that students meet with an advisor to assist in their course planning. Advisors can also answer questions regarding occupations in fields related to the program. KCC encourages students to seek volunteer or paid employment experiences in their field of interest to clarify career decisions. KCC provides access to occupational and career information, using both paper and electronic resources.

Students planning to transfer to another college should begin planning early to identify appropriate transfer courses. Resources to assist with academic planning and decision making include college catalogs from other colleges, on-line resources at the transfer college and transfer advisors at that college or university.

Continuing Students

Returning students may access student records and receive other services on the KCC website at These services include online registration, degree audit, degree plan and financial aid award/disbursal information. It is required that all students meet with an Academic Advisor or a Student Success Representative regarding academic planning.

Occupational Preparatory Instruction

The changing and increasing technical nature of work in business and industry calls for a greater diversity of high-level skills. KCC offers a number of certificates and degree programs for direct entry into occupations which require greater than high school skills, yet do not require a bachelor’s degree. It is recommended that students have the basic skills before entering into occupational preparatory instruction. For more information contact KCC’s Student Services or the lead faculty member in the program of interest.

Transferring Credits

Students planning to transfer to another community college or four-year college/university are encouraged to contact the college/university to which they plan to transfer to ensure a smooth transition. Depending on the student’s program, the student transferring to a four-year college or university may be able to transfer an entire degree.

Whether transferring to a community college or four-year university, the student may transfer at any point while enrolled at KCC. Some career-technical programs offered by KCC include courses which may be transferred. Consult a Student Success Advisor or an Academic Advisor for more specific information.

Transferring to KCC

Students transferring to KCC from another college or university may request the placement test be waived upon evaluation of prior post secondary transcripts if the student has completed both college level writing and mathematics series of courses.

Transfer Credit Acceptance/Application

Students interested in transferring credits to KCC from another institution must be aware of the following policies:

  • Credits are accepted only from regionally accredited colleges and universities, or as listed below.
  • An official transcript listing the credits must be sent to KCC’s Student Services. Once the transcript is received, it will not be released to a non-contracted third party, including other institutions.
  • Credits older than seven years are not accepted for application toward degree requirements unless requested by the student. If requested and if there is a question on class content changing from when completed, the course(s) will be reviewed by the individual department for transferability.
  • A grade of “D” is not accepted in transfer work if the specific program or degree requires a grade of “C” or better.
  • Only credits which carry transfer credit to other state colleges and universities in Oregon will be accepted for the AA-OT degree.
  • Credit for military training is granted on the basis of recommendations by the American Council on Education (ACE) as explained in the “Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services.” KCC accepts credits from the military DANTES and USAFI programs, as recommended by ACE. All military credits are to be listed on a military transcript.
    • Army: Army/ACE Registry System (AARTS)
    • Marines: Individual Training Standards System, Maintenance Training Management and Evaluation Program (ITSS MATMEP)
    • Navy: Navy Occupational/Training and Awards History
  • Credit granted based on acceptable scores for College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and the Advanced Placement (AP) tests.
  • KCC awards credit on a case by case basis for prior learning experience, where credit is granted for life experiences or job skills. A student may seek substitutions in AAS degree or one year certificate programs on the basis of prior academic experience or challenge exams. Contact a Student Success Representative regarding substitutions.
  • Students who have received a bachelor’s degree are generally considered to have completed the general education requirements for an associate’s degree.
  • Transfer credit does not count for residency purposes.
  • Transfer credit must be deemed appropriately applicable for a student’s educational goals as well as the institution’s programs.