Two-Year Associate of Applied Science Degree
The Cybersecurity and Networking AAS degree is designed for new students and existing professionals who would like to acquire technical training in information system support and administration with an emphasis on cybersecurity techniques. This program is designed to help students earn industry-recognized, third-party certifications in hardware, software, networking, and cybersecurity. The program includes an internship with a local company’s information system (IS) department to add real job experience to the degree holder’s resume.
Students who pursue this degree will have a strong foundation in hardware, software, networks, computer languages, embedded systems (robotics) as well as a solid background in cybersecurity skills such as perimeter defense design, business continuity and disaster recovery, penetration testing, and ethical hacking. The curriculum will familiarize students with the theory and application of computer technology while offering an intensive, hands-on experience working with networks, hardware, software, embedded systems, and cybersecurity in a state-of-the-art computer lab facility.
A degree holder will have the additional benefit of being amply prepared for entry-level jobs in information systems support including technician positions involving a network environment in need of on-the-site cybersecurity monitoring. Work in the field of cybersecurity and network support includes the following: wired and wireless network design and administration, server management, robotic systems design, security design and administration.
Career opportunities for students who wish to enter the workforce immediately upon graduation include network systems support technician, computer user support technician, and network and systems administrator with cybersecurity skills.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Identify, test, and install PC hardware and PC software
- Connect network hardware and configure network software in a server system
- Talk to nontechnical end-users and provide high customer service to all end users
- Analyze security issues and apply them to network design problems
- Perform necessary ‘white hat’ attacks on a network to assess vulnerabilities
- Acquire the necessary fundamentals of the C++ programming language for solving complex program problems
- Understand the fundamentals of design and implementation of embedded system