Two-Year Associate of Applied Science Degree
The Business Administration AAS degree is offered to students seeking employment in occupations related to business functions such as management, marketing, retail, human resources, and sales. Technical core coursework in accounting, management, personal finance, business law, and computer applications is required, in addition to selection of either the emphasis in business management or the emphasis in marketing. All coursework required in this degree is available both in the traditional classroom and also online through distance education. Please note that schedules will vary based on which option you select.
The first year of the AAS degree program offers technical specialty coursework and completion of prerequisites. The second year covers a broad range of skills, including those necessary for diversification and upward mobility within the occupational area.
For more information about the program, please see our program page: www.klamathcc.edu/busadmin
Credit for Prior Learning
This program may provide prior learning credit and extended learning opportunities for persons previously or currently employed in related professions.
For more information: https://www.klamathcc.edu/cpl
Business Management Emphasis
An emphasis in business management is most appropriate for students interested in general business management or ownership; it can lead to promotional opportunities for students already employed in a business occupation or with substantial background in that industry or management. This AAS is typically the best option for students who plan to continue their education and complete a bachelor’s degree in business or a closely related area.
Coursework in marketing is most beneficial for students who are specifically interested in marketing-related occupations such as sales, advertising, retail management, purchasing, e-commerce, or other marketing functions. The AAS is typically the best option for students who plan to continue their education and complete a bachelor’s degree in marketing.
Core Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Apply concepts, methods, and tools of management in an ethical manner to typical business operations.
- Explain the primary components of general business law, including the court system, contracts, principal/agent law, common business structures, and human resources activities as they relate to standard business operations.
- Analyze general accounting practices and apply them to the managerial accounting process.
- Demonstrate the ability to work effectively with others in a team environment.
- Explain marketing concepts as they relate to the primary functions and competitive advantage of a business or organization.
- Use technology and software applications effectively for common business operations.
In addition to the core program learning outcomes above, upon successful completion of the business management emphasis, students will be able to:
- Create components of a standard business plan, including financial, marketing, and other common business functions related to development and operation of a business entity.
- Use professional conduct that is appropriate for chosen technical area.
In addition to the core program learning outcomes above, upon successful completion of the marketing emphasis, students will be able to:
- Apply social media tools and strategies to business operations and general marketing strategies.
- Analyze the primary components of the retail mix as they relate to best practices in the retail and service industry.
- Demonstrate personal selling strategies using techniques that are considered effective in a particular industry.
Students interested in occupations related to general business, accounting, management, and marketing should work closely with their academic advisor to create a plan that addresses their specific career interests. Advanced training may be required for certain occupations, and transfer degrees may be more appropriate for students intending to further their education beyond KCC.