One-Year Certificate of Completion
The certificate in Esthetics and Nail Technology prepares students for employment in a broad array of areas in the skincare and nail design beauty field. This program provides the theory and practical application necessary to take Oregon esthetics license exams and meet employment performance requirements.
The KCC certificate in esthetics and nail technology is aligned with industry-recognized certification. Students are evaluated on the performance of each competency of the curriculum to ensure readiness to meet state licensure requirements and enter the profession. Students participate in realistic training through the student-operated salon. The program also provides prior learning credit and extended learning opportunities for persons previously or currently employed in related professions.
Included in this program are academic courses in which students will develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, communication skills, cultural competence, professional competency and self-efficacy skills and teamwork skills. In addition to cosmetology courses, students are required to take courses in business management, student success, communication, arts and letters, and science that provide knowledge and abilities that enhance personal development and serve as a foundation for technical skills
The Cosmetology program consists of four consecutive terms, including summer term, depending on the student’s previous academic history. Attendance is vital to complete the program hour requirement and averages 30 hours each week. Hours consist of lecture, lab, clinical time and general education. Students will prepare to take the state board examination upon the completion of program requirements and class time required by the state of Oregon. After passing the state examination, the student will receive a license to practice in their new career.
The esthetics and nail technology certificate rolls seamlessly into the associate of applied science cosmetology degree or associates of general studies degree.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Apply safety and sanitation techniques.
- Apply thorough understanding of human anatomy, physiology and disease in the execution of services.
- Apply widely accepted theory of the study of esthetics and nails to client services.
- Apply a thorough understanding of electricity and chemistry to the execution of service
- Provide client consultation before, during and after all skin and nail care procedures
- Model professional conduct at all times, with attentiveness to legal, and ethical considerations.
- Apply knowledge and understanding of sound business practices to building and maintaining a salon.