Two-Year Associate of Applied Science Degree
The Education AAS degree is offered to those seeking employment in educational occupations.
This AAS degree also serves as a seamless pathway toward a four-year degree at Southern Oregon University.
Students are provided with a well-rounded and diverse education that consists of collegiate-level general education coursework and a core of technical courses in the fields of child development and education. All students gain practical experience by completing cooperative work experience and supervised practicum in local schools, child care centers, and agencies that serve children and families.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Create developmentally and culturally appropriate learning environments and curricula to foster optimum growth and development of learners.
- Identify and teach to differences in race, gender, ability, age, language, family composition, culture, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and religion.
- Explain the complex characteristics of families and communities as well as the social, emotional, cognitive, and physical aspects of growth and development.
- Demonstrate an understanding of observation techniques, assessment tools, documentation procedures as well as resources and applicable regulations/laws for all learners, specifically for those with disabilities and other special needs.
- Apply developmentally and culturally appropriate teaching and guidance theories, principles, and practices.
- Demonstrate participation in leadership, advocacy, personal growth, and professional development activities.
- Meet the first- and second-year requirements for the Southern Oregon University Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education.