One-Year Certificate of Completion
Students seeking employment in occupations related to accounting and finance can complete a stand-alone certificate or apply these courses toward an AAS degree. This one-year certificate is available for students who are interested in gaining the foundation needed to begin in an entry level bookkeeping occupation. A less-than-one year certificate (career pathway certificate) is also available for students who are interested in gaining the skills essential to obtain entry level bookkeeping employment opportunities.
This certificate program focuses on the fundamental areas of accounting and use of computers in accounting operations. Theory and current trends are explored, and numerous opportunities exist for practical application of concepts to actual organizational situations.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Apply accounting methods, tools, and concepts in an ethical and legal manner.
- Analyze accounting information using industry standards, generally accepted accounting principles, or international financial reporting standards.
- Use accounting technology and equipment in proper form.
- Develop appropriately formatted accounting reports for both internal and external users.
- Identify internal control issues in accounting policies and procedures.
Students interested in accounting should work closely with their academic advisor to create a plan that addresses their specific career interests. Advanced training may be required for certain occupations.