Catalog 2020-21 
    Jun 24, 2024  
Catalog 2020-21 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic and External Affairs

Cooperative Work Experience

Cooperative Work Experience (CWE) lets students apply learning in an actual workplace or training environment. CWE is available in professional-technical programs and offered for variable credit based on a student’s objectives.  Instructor permission is required. 

Credit by Exam

A maximum of 45 credits toward a degree and 24 credits toward a certificate program may be earned by: CLEP examination, ACT subject matter examinations, advanced placement tests (score of 3, 4, or 5 required), military schooling (ACE Guide approved), or Klamath Community College departmental waiver based on knowledge or training.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) has been instituted by The College Entrance Examination Board. CLEP gives students the opportunity to receive college credit for what they already know by earning qualifying scores on any of the examinations. Students can potentially earn credit for knowledge previously acquired through independent study, prior coursework, on-the-job training, professional development, cultural pursuits, or internships.

KCC grants credit for certain CLEP general and subject examinations. These examinations must be completed with a satisfactory score, and the testing service must forward an original copy of test results to the registrar’s office. Information on CLEP course equivalencies and minimum scores is available on the KCC Registrar webpage.

CLEP testing is offered on campus at the KCC Testing Center.

Advanced Placement

Students who complete college-level work in high school under the Advanced Placement (AP) program and matriculate to public universities and community colleges in Oregon must achieve a minimum score of three (3) to be considered for possible college credit by KCC.  To receive credit, an official copy of the AP transcript must be sent directly to the KCC Registrar’s office. An AP course equivalencies list is available on the KCC Registrar webpage.

Developmental Education

These courses are designed to provide help in reading, writing, math, and study skills in preparation for success in academic programs. Additionally, tutorial assistance is available to all students in the Tutoring Center.

Students needing to improve their basic reading, writing, and math skills before pursuing collegiate-level instruction can take a variety of college preparatory courses in the basic skill areas. KCC encourages students to improve their basic skills to improve their chances for educational success.

Special Needs / Disability Accommodations

Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request if a person has a documented disability. Students may contact the disabilities coordinator at 541-882-3521 for information on disability documentation requirements and available accommodations.

TRiO Student Support Services

TRiO Student Support Services is a free program to assist low-income, first-generation, and disabled students. This limited entry program helps students from entry through graduation with an emphasis on success. TRiO provides a designated space with computers, study areas, additional academic advising, transfer assistance, free visits to universities, individualized tutoring, career exploration services, and a strong support system.

TRiO SSS is located in Founders Hall. For more information, or to request an application, please call 541-880-2289, visit the TRiO website, or stop by the TRiO SSS office.


Courses that are necessary to meet program requirements will be delivered in a timely manner. The College exercises its right to choose which courses to offer each term. Not all courses will be offered every term. Final course offerings are contingent upon enrollment and staff availability and are subject to change without prior notification. To avoid delays in meeting program requirements, students are encouraged to enroll in courses that meet specific program requirements as they are offered.

This catalog includes the academic programs and courses approved by the State of Oregon for Klamath Community College. The College reserves the right to offer programs and courses based on student demand and availability of resources.

Course numbers

KCC uses the course numbering system found throughout universities in Oregon and other Oregon community colleges. Course numbers 100 to 299 are undergraduate general education courses (often a grade of “C” or better is required) or professional technical courses. Courses numbered 99 or below are developmental education courses and are not usually transferable to four-year institutions.

Counseling and Student Support Services

KCC provides free counseling and student support services to students who need extra support. Students sometimes get overwhelmed with balancing life and school, and a support specialist or counselor can help provide options and support for success. Help is available for test anxiety, school stress, home stress, and whatever else may be challenging a student’s academic or personal success. Students who are interested in finding out more about this resource or who would like to make an appointment can email or call the Student Support Specialist at 541-880-2283.

Student Leadership

There are a variety of opportunities on the KCC campus for students to become campus leaders. Options include participating in student government, community service and volunteering, joining or forming clubs, and participating in campus events. Participating in student leadership activities helps build connections among students which ultimately increases the academic success of students including the likelihood that students will complete a program or degree.

The Associated Students of Klamath Community College (ASKCC)

The student government body on campus, ASKCC, advocates for the student body at local, state, and federal levels, creating opportunities for community engagement and providing access to resources based on individual and collective student needs.

Advocacy • Service • Knowledge • Community • Connection

Through involvement with student government, students can gain valuable leadership skills, develop friendships, and establish beneficial contacts with college faculty, staff, and community members. Students may also have the opportunity to attend leadership training workshops and to provide leadership in developing programs and resources for other students on campus. For more information about student government, stop by the Office of Student Life (Building 4) or call ASKCC at 541-880-2355.

Campus Clubs

Campus clubs are student-led organizations supported by faculty or staff advisors and ASKCC. Participating in clubs allows students to get involved, connect with other students, and to join in club-sponsored activities and programs. Opportunities to be involved in campus-wide initiatives and club fairs also exist. Clubs currently recognized at KCC:

  • Criminal Justice Club
  • Emergency Response Operations Club
  • Indigenous People Club
  • Klamath Collegiate Farm Bureau
  • Latinx Club
  • Newspaper Club
  • Psychology Club
  • Rainbow Club
  • Science Club
  • Soccer Club
  • Technology and Engineering Club


Student organizations currently recognized at KCC:

  • Alpha Gamma Nu Nursing Society
  • Phi Theta Kappa (PTK), the community college honor society

If you have an idea for a new club, please contact ASKCC at the Office of Student Life in Building 4 or call 541-880-2333.

Student Leadership Workshop Series

The Office of Student Life hosts workshops to encourage student learning beyond the classroom. These workshops are free and open to students at any level in their leadership journey. Potential topics include effective communication, informed decision making, emotional intelligence, and other helpful areas.

For more information, or to suggest a topic for a workshop, visit the Office of Student Life in Building 4 or call the Assistant Director at 541-880-2321.

Student Life Assistants

Student Life assistants are paid student leadership positions within the Office of Student Life. These students gain valuable peer leadership experience through planning and hosting events such as Monte Carlo Night, cultural events, and more. Student Life assistants also provide first-contact customer service for all visitors in Student Life.

For more information on how to get involved as a Student Life assistant, visit Student Life in Building 4 or call 541-880-2355.

Volunteer Badgers (Community Service/Volunteerism)

The Volunteer Badgers program provides opportunities for students and employees to give back to the Klamath community. From adopting a section of the OC&E Trail to volunteering at local events, Volunteer Badgers minimally host one service day a month and are working to expand the number and type of projects available.

For more information on how to get involved as a Volunteer Badger, or to suggest community agencies or projects to consider, visit the Office of Student Life in Building 4 or call 541-880-2355.

Student Participation in Institutional Governance

As members of the college community, students are free to express views on issues of institutional policy and matters of general interest to the student body. Students are encouraged to participate in developing and applying policies and procedures affecting academic and enrollment areas through student leadership and shared governance committees.

To volunteer to serve on a college council or committee, visit the Office of Student Life in Building 4 or call us at 541-880-2355.

Freedom of Association

Students bring a variety of interests to KCC. Members of the college community may organize and join collegiate associations to promote their common interests, subject to the following considerations: the membership, policies and actions of a student organization typically are determined by a vote of individuals who hold bona fide membership in the college community.

As a condition of institutional recognition, student organizations are required to submit a statement of purpose, criteria for membership, and operational procedures to the vice president of student affairs.

  1. Student organizations typically choose their own college advisor, though some advisors may be assigned. Clubs recognized by the College must have an advisor who is a college employee. College staff and faculty members who accept the responsibility to advise student organizations have an obligation to protect the general interests of the College.
  2. Student organizations, including those affiliated with an external organization, are open to all students without respect to age, disability, national origin, race, marital status, religion, sexual orientation, or gender, in accordance with federal and state laws. However, specific organization criteria may limit membership options (e.g., grade point average).
  3. Students and student organizations may examine and discuss a variety of topics and express opinions publicly and privately. They may support causes by orderly means which do not disrupt college operations. At the same time, it should be made clear to the academic and public community that in their public expressions, students or student organizations speak for themselves and not as representatives of the College.

Credit Hour Load

Students should enroll in an average of 15 credit hours of collegiate-level coursework per term to earn an associate degree in two years or a bachelor’s degree in four years. An average of 15 credit hours involves approximately 45 clock hours of scholastic productivity each week per term.

Students who work are advised to fit their job schedule into the credit hour equation and anticipate taking more than six terms to complete a two-year educational plan. It may be difficult to carry a full-time academic load while working more than 20 hours per week.

To enroll in more than 18 credits per term, students must have a cumulative minimum GPA of 2.75 and submit an appeal to be approved first. By taking advantage of summer term classes, students can reduce the number of credit hours needed per term or the length of time required for attaining a degree.

Assessment of Student Achievement Board Policy #810.0400

To comport with regional accrediting body requirements, the KCC Board of Education directs administration and faculty to develop system(s) that assess and document educational outcomes of academic achievement for students completing college degrees and certificates.



Student performance will be graded according to the requirements outlined in each course syllabus and according to the grade definitions below.

Definition of Approved Grades



Points Per Credit


Superior performance



Quality performance



Competent performance



Deficient performance, but passing



Failure to meet minimum requirements



Pass - acceptable performance (certain courses only)

Does not affect GPA


Not passing

Does not affect GPA



Does not affect GPA



Does not affect GPA



Does not affect GPA

Repeat Courses

Courses may be repeated once with the intention of earning a better grade. Grades not affecting GPA are not recognized as repeats. The grade from the first repeat will replace the prior grade and be included in the GPA. A course may be repeated more than once and all attempts will be recorded on the official transcript. All grades earned after the first repeat will be used in calculating the GPA.

Computation of Grade Point Average for Degrees and Certificates
The grade point average is the quotient of total quality points (quality points are grade points multiplied by course credits) divided by total credits in which grades of A, B, C, D, and F are received.

Grade Point Average (GPA)

To calculate your GPA, follow these steps:

  1. Multiply the number of credit hours earned in a course by the number of points allowed for the grade received.
  2. Add the total points for all courses.
  3. Divide this total by the number of credit hours carried for the term. GPA is usually computed to two decimal places.

Pass/No Pass Option

“P” signifies a passing grade was earned (“C” grade or better). Qualifying credits count toward degrees and certificates but are not computed in the GPA. Course grading options are outlined in each course syllabus.


If a student has completed a majority of the assigned coursework at a satisfactory level of quality but an essential course requirement has not been completed (for reasons acceptable to the instructor), a report of incomplete (I) may be given and additional time granted for completion.

Students must initiate the incomplete grade contract process, except in emergency cases. The form must be filled out and signed by both the student and the instructor, but only the instructor may submit the form to Registrar’s office.

Course requirements must be completed within a maximum of one term after the end of the term in which the “I” grade was received. Upon student completion of course requirements, the instructor will assign a grade using the “Grade Change Request” form. The instructor will obtain and return this form to the Registrar for the new grade to enter. If the course requirements are not completed after one term, the grade becomes an “F” on the transcript. An “I” does not entitle a student to repeat a course without paying tuition.

A grade of W, I, or F does not count as successful completion of a class. Klamath Community College will apply the satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standards at the completion of the term after grades are posted.


To maintain enrollment in a course, students must attend all first-week class meetings, unless they have made specific arrangements with the instructor. Those who don’t meet this requirement may be dropped from the class for non-attendance; however, students are ultimately held responsible for dropping their classes before the end of the first week of classes if not planning to attend. Students are also expected to attend all class meetings for the courses in which they are enrolled. Repeated absences may affect a student’s grade.


A student may pay tuition for and attend a course without receiving a grade or credit for the course. The decision to audit a class must be made before the end of the first week of classes. Instructor’s acknowledgment of the student’s intent to audit the course is recommended. Certain courses, at the College’s discretion, may not be audited. Audited courses do not satisfy requirements for entry into courses where prerequisites are specified.


After the drop deadline, which is the first week of classes, students can still withdraw from a class up to the published last day to withdraw but will not receive a refund. A “W” grade will be entered in the student’s record.

Grading Systems

The College has two grading systems. Courses are designated either graded or pass/no pass. Use of a graded or pass/no pass system is determined based on the course.

Grade Discrepancies

Students must bring any grade discrepancy to the attention of the vice president of academic affairs within 60 days after grades are posted.

Veterans Services

KCC’s Veterans Representative provides general information about the various education benefits available to veterans and their eligible dependents and certifies the student’s enrollment with the Veterans Administration. To apply for veterans educational benefits, students can visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website. Recipients of VA benefits must maintain satisfactory academic progress toward their educational goal.

Veterans and the College must abide by VA regulations regarding notification of any change in academic program/major, change in course registration, course withdrawal, and transfer credits from other institutions. All changes must be reported to the Department of Veterans Administration by the school certifying official (SCO). Failure to notify the Veterans Services SCO may result in a loss of benefits. For information regarding benefits and/or payment problems, please call the VA education line at 1-888-442-4551.

KCC’s Veterans Representative is located in Founders Hall and can be reached at 541-880-2389.

Eligibility Requirements:

Students may establish eligibility for:

  • Full-time veterans benefits by taking 12 or more credits.
  • Three-quarter time benefits by taking 9 to 11 credits.
  • Half-time benefits by taking 6 to 8 credits.

If the student attends less than half-time, only tuition benefits are available. Basic allowance for housing is not paid for less than half-time pursuit. Students taking GED or high school equivalency courses must attend class 18 or more hours per week to be considered to be full-time students. If students are veterans or other military personnel, they should check with Student Services regarding procedures for acceptance of military credits. Students must provide documents verifying prior education and military service. Eligibility for benefits and monthly payments are processed by the Veterans Administration Educational Office in Muskogee, OK.

After certification by the College, VA students must:

  1. Maintain satisfactory academic progress. Satisfactory academic progress (SAP) is achieved by maintaining a minimum term GPA of 2.00 and a 66.67% or higher completion rate. The completion rate is based on the number of credits that for which the student is enrolled in as of the published add/drop deadline. Grades of W, I, or F do not count as successful completion of a class. KCC will apply the satisfactory academic progress standards at the completion of the term after grades are posted.
  2. Enroll only in courses that apply to their degree or certificate program. Enrollment in classes that do not apply toward degree or certificate completion cannot be certified for payment.
  3. Complete at least the minimum hours for which they were certified. Overpayments may occur if they enroll in, but do not complete, the credits for which they were certified.
  4. Inform Veterans Services immediately of changes in schedule, address, or dependents as it takes up to six weeks to process the changes.
  5. Chapter 30 recipients must certify their college attendance monthly with the VA office through the VA electronic system. Students who receive VA benefits and are enrolled at least three-quarter time (9 to 11 credits) or more may be eligible to apply for Work-Study at a VA medical center or with the Oregon State Employment Division.

Military Deployment

Any student with orders to report for active military duty may withdraw at any time during the term and receive a full refund on tuition and fees. If sufficient coursework has been accomplished and the instructor feels justified in granting credit for the coursework completed, credit may be granted and no refund will be given. In some cases an incomplete grade may be granted according to KCC policy. The student needs to initiate the process by contacting Student Services or the Veterans Representative and provide a copy of the official military orders.

The student needs to contact Student Services to obtain the appropriate form to request a withdrawal and/or grade for each class. A copy of official military orders must accompany the documentation; otherwise, no action will be taken and the student is responsible for all grades and debt to the College.

After the student returns the completed form to Student Services or the veterans representative, the registrar will consult with Financial Aid and the Business Office to determine whether a student will be fully dropped, showing no record for the term, or enter in the appropriate grade (A-F, W, I) for each class and possibly refund the student.

Graduation Requirements

Graduation and Degree Audit

Students are encouraged to petition for graduation by completing a Petition to Graduate form at least two terms prior to the anticipated graduation date. Prior to filing an application, students need to review a current degree audit (advising worksheet) and academic plan for completion of coursework with their academic advisor. This will verify whether or not the student will meet the requirements for the chosen program. They must obtain a petition-to-graduate form and return the completed form to a student success representative in Founders Hall. Students expecting to graduate in Spring term should petition no later than Winter term. Any changes in program or course substitutions must be completed with a student success representative or an academic advisor. Students earning a degree and/or certificate must petition within one year of completing applicable course work in order to participate in the commencement.

Commencement ceremonies are held at the end of Spring term in June. Information regarding graduation ceremony activities can be obtained on the KCC website. Students interested in walking at Commencement need to indicate so on the Petition to Graduate form.

Note: KCC reserves the right to award a certificate or degree without a Petition to Graduate form being submitted.

Additional Degree or Certificate

Students seeking an additional Associate degree from KCC must submit a Second Degree Appeal and meet the additional 24 unique credits requirement of the degree.  For a Certificate, the requirement is 12 unique credits. Students need to submit a Petition to Graduate form as well.

Residency Requirements for a Degree or Certificate

For all Associate degrees, 24 credits toward degree completion must be earned at KCC. For all one-year or less-than-one-year Certificates, 12 credits towards the certificate must be earned at KCC.

Opt Out

KCC reserves the right to grant associate degrees, one-year certificates, and less-than-one-year certificates when a student has completed necessary credits, regardless of whether the student applied to receive the degree/certificate, or whether the student earned the credits for the degree at KCC or another state institution of higher education. The student will be notified in writing that he or she has received the degree or certificate and will be given the opportunity to request that the degree or certificate not be awarded. If the student has any outstanding debt to the College, the diploma is withheld.