Less-Than-One-Year Certificate of Completion
The Retail Management Certificate (26 credit hours) was created at the request of the Western Association of Food Chains (WAFC) and is currently offered at community colleges throughout Oregon and other states. According to WAFC, “The certificate’s curriculum was developed out of a collaborative effort between several food industry and college professionals and encompasses several business essentials, including the ‘soft skills’ of management and communication required for career success in the retail food industry.” Industry representatives work closely with community colleges throughout Oregon to keep this certificate as current and relevant as possible, and updates have been made as of March 2015 that are reflected in the list of coursework below.
Leaders in retail and the service industry agree that the need for a skilled workforce has never been more critical, and this certificate provides a foundation in education that is most significant to those entering retail or service, or desiring to advance to management in their current environment. All courses required to complete this certificate are available online in order to offer additional scheduling options for students who are already attempting to balance family and work responsibilities. Klamath Community College is one of the few colleges in Oregon to offer this certificate fully online!
Students are encouraged to consider college preparatory coursework in math, writing, and computer keyboarding if needed. Contact Linda Davenport, Program Advisor, to discuss your career goals and learn more about this industry-recognized statewide certificate!
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the certificate, students will be able to:
- Apply concepts, methods, and tools of management in an ethical manner to typical business operations.
- Use technology and software applications effectively for common business operations.
- Demonstrate the ability to work effectively with others in a team environment.
- Explain marketing concepts as they relate to the primary functions and competitive advantage of a business or organization.
- Analyze the primary components of the retail mix as they relate to best practices in the retail and service industry.
The Retail Management Certificate is endorsed by: