Two-Year Associate of Applied Science Degree
This degree is designed to provide the technical skills and basic knowledge for students interested in a professional food services career. This program includes hands-on learning and theory-based instruction. Graduates of this program will possess the knowledge to advance and become chefs, kitchen and restaurant managers, cooks, and restaurant owners.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Identify culinary tools, equipment, and food products using the principles of food production and safety.
- Apply food safety and sanitation procedures in preparation of food products in the kitchen.
- Plan menus for a variety of food service events.
- Use principles of nutrition to ensure maximum nutrient retention during food preparation.
- Perform business math skills when using bookkeeping systems employed in the restaurant industry.
- Use leadership, customer service, and interpersonal skills in support of management of a kitchen.
This program has special admission requirements and enrollment limits. The first step to entering this program is to take the College’s free placement test and meet with KCC admissions staff. There are entry-level expectations for skill levels in reading, writing and mathematics. Placement tests can be scheduled by calling the KCC Testing Center at 541-880-2334. If students have questions about the requirements, they may call KCC Student Services at 541-882-3521. Failure to complete the placement test will delay entry into the program.
For admission into the program, an application is required. This is a separate step from the testing and assessment steps. Application packets are available in Founders Hall.